Historical Pictures of the Ev.-Luth. Divine Service
by Helmut Schatz
English translation by Matthew Carver
Mühlberg on the Elbe
Altar Predella by Heinrich Göding, Sr., 1569, for the former Güldenstern Abbey Church (Cistercian); now in the Mühlberg city church.
Photograph: Office for Culture and Monument Preservation, Dresden. Fig. 25.
Piepkorn, op. cit., p. 21: “In the chapel of Güldenstern Cloister in Mühlberg on the Elbe, above the altar mensa on the base of the retable, there is a painting from the year 1569 depicting a Lutheran celebration of the Holy Supper of that period. It shows the altar dressed in a white linen cloth, the façade concealed by a free-hanging silk parament composed of different strips of material over which a broad, embroidered fringe hangs from the lip of the mensa.1 On the altar are two candlesticks, a handwritten missal resting on a small missal stand, two pieces of cloth probably to be understood as a corporal and pall, a small, unidentifiable book, and a rather large, rotund flagon. Communicants kneel on the altar steps to the left and right. The minister distributing the Host (this may be a portrait of the pastor of Mühlberg during that time) wears a black talar; the other minister, administering the chalice (he is younger than his brother in office, though he wears a beard) is dressed in a chasuble of the same material as the altar frontal, trimmed in silk, along with an ornate amice2 over an alb with somewhat wide sleeves, apparently without cincture.”
Georg Dehio, Handbuch der deutschen Kunstdenkmäler. Die Bezirke Cottbus und Frankfurt/Oder (Munich, 1987).
A. C. Piepkorn, op. cit.
Ulrich Thieme, Felix Becker, Hans Vollmer, ed. Allgemeines Künstlerlexikon der bildenden Künstler von der Antike bis zur Gegenwart Bd. 14 (Leipzig, 1888), art. “Göding, Heinrich d. Ä.”